Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Welcome To The Star Wars: Threads of Destiny Novelization



Star Wars: Threads of Destiny is a very ambitious Star Wars fanfilm project 9 years in the making that I co-wrote the screenplay for, that finally got released onto the web just last week. You can read more about the project itself over at my other blog, The B-Movie Shelf, right here. What this blog is for, is for me to post, chapter-by-chapter as I write it, the 'official' novelization of this fanfilm. Well, essentially it's just fanfiction really, since it's a novelization of a FAN film, but you get the gist of what I mean.

It's a project that I actually started 9 years ago when I first started work on my draft of the screenplay for Threads of Destiny, but ultimately ended up cancelling it at the time due to the script continuously changing, and then my life just getting busy and running low on free time to constantly revise what I had written. However, seeing as how the finished film is finally released and no further changes will be made to it, I now feel much more comfortable with getting back to work on this novelization, starting from the ground up.

There is absolutely no timetable as to when chapters will be released - whenever I finish one, I will release it. It could be once a week for some of them or there could be a month or more between some of them. Just whenever I get the free time to work a bit on it, I will, and then once a chapter is completed it will be posted up. Also, much like with real official movie novelizations, there will be scenes in here that were in the script but cut from the finished film in addition to brand new scenes created solely for the novelization to broaden our knowledge on some of the characters. I want to give fans of the fanfilm something new to look forward to, in addition to just straight adapting what's on the screen.

Also, just feel I should get this out of the way right off the bat, I am in no way a professional writer, nor do I pretend to be. There will no doubt be grammar errors and awkward sentence structure at times. I understand this in advance, so I hope you do as well. Of course I will put my best effort into the project, but please don't badger me with little nitpicks of wrong grammar or improper use of this or that. Honestly, I really don't care. However, if you notice something big that's wrong, perhaps I changed the wording of a sentence and forgot to delete part of the previous wording so it jumbles together into one unreadable sentence, or I accidentally used the wrong character name in a paragraph and it somehow escaped me - glaring obvious things like that, feel free to point out and I will certainly fix it when I have the chance.

As for where in the Star Wars timeline this is set, for those who may not yet be familiar with the project, it takes place 94 years after Return of the Jedi. We set it that far into the future because we didn't want to be worried about or feel constrained to make sure it lines up with any specific time frame or to make sure this can happen because that happened in the movies at this point, and this character should be here at this time, ect. In addition, this ignores ALL Expanded Universe stuff. The only things we took as cannon for this is strictly what's in the six movies and that's it. We didn't want to feel constricted by decades of novels and comics, most of which none of us have ever read anyway, and Clone Wars just didn't exist back when we initially wrote the script. Hell, if memory serves me correctly, Revenge of the Sith hadn't even been released yet when we started on this project.

Now, without further delay, I present to you the novelization of Star Wars: Threads of Destiny, written by Jeffrey Long, based off a fanfilm screenplay by Michael Banno, Jeffrey Long, Matthew Davis, and Stephen Parker.


The Prologue - New!

No comments:

Post a Comment